b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Amalekites exist OUTSIDE the scripture sources???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Banyai AT t-online.de (Michael Banyai)
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Amalekites exist OUTSIDE the scripture sources???
  • Date: 09 Aug 2004 20:23 GMT

Dear Yigal,

I don´t see why the histories concerning the Amalekites in the arabic
tradition ought be linked exclusively to the biblical one´s. 90% of the
Amalekite stories has absolute no connection with the bible et al, doesn´t
stem from the Kuran and make not the impression to be different from other
ones relating to other arabic preislamic peoples or kingdoms. Beyond the
obligate references to Abraham there is scarcely any connection between the
arabian stories concerning the Amalekites and the biblical one´s.

Some can be checked punctually.

The history has the Amalekites expelled by Muhammed to byzantine Syria, after
having been his former allies in Mekka and Medina. They should have in their
majority turned to mosaic religion some time before the advent of the Islam.

The Amalekites dwellt according to the bible not exclusively in the Negeb as
you put it but high in the north even to the Euphrates bow. This places them
geographically in the same range with the Meluhhans and with the Syrian Musri
(I say Syrian to make the difference to the Egyptian Musri).

There is no reasonable ground to doubt the posibility of wide stretching
connections within Arabia.

BTW, dear Yigal, I am not at all religious, but this is no ground to read one
document or another else as a possible source of information.

Best regards

Bányai Michael