b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Amalekites exist OUTSIDE the scripture sources???

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Amalekites exist OUTSIDE the scripture sources???
  • Date: Sun, 8 Aug 2004 13:43:45 +0200

Chris,

I repeat what I said before. There is NO reference to the Amalekites outside
the Bible. Any identification of any tribe that is mentioned in other
sources with the Amalekites is purely conjectural. When you write "All these
identified with Amalekites", I ask, identified by whom? On what evidence?

However, I never said that the Amalekites were "mythological", just because
they are mentioned only in the Bible. What is "mythological", in a sense, is
their descent from Esau. Just like the Israelites' descent from Jacob,
genealogies are often used as a literary means of describing the
relationship between groups, as reflected at the time the genealogies were
written down. When were the "Toledoth" of Esau written - who knows? They are
usually attributed to the Priestly school ("P"). In any case, what they
reflect is a Judahite writer trying to "classify" the various tribes and
villages of the south and to fit them into the "family" of nations that
surrounded Israel.

As far as the ONE mention of "the field of the Amalekites" in Gen. 14:7, in
a story that is connected to Abraham: the same chapter also mentions Zoar
(verse 2), which would only be given that name in Gen. 19:22, and Dan (verse
14), which would only be given that name in Josh. 19:47, when it would be
named after Abraham's great-grandson! The book of Genesis in particular is
full of such "anachronisms", in which a "later" name, which would have been
familiar at the time the story was written. We could understand "the field
of the Amalekites" as meaning the area in which the Amalakites would live
later on.
All other references to the Amalekites make them contemporaries of the
Israelite wanderings up until the early monarchy. Based on the Bible alone,
it would have been David who finally "broke" them.

Yigal