b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin-Tsadi-Resh (OTSeR) Act. Part.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin-Tsadi-Resh (OTSeR) Act. Part.
  • Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 01:47:59 -0500

Chris:

As far as I can tell, this word has a meaning of restraining, as in
preventing an action or holding back. Also used for a holiday when people
were to be restrained from doing work.

When used in Proverbs 30:16 meaning restrained from giving birth = barren.
Isaiah 53:8 He was taken away from restraint and (correct) judgement, i.e.
tortured (no restraint to the violent action taken on him) and killed
unjustly. Psalm 107:39 again the concept is a displeasing restraint that
makes a people small.

Here we need to differentiate between a smooth translation, and the Hebrew
term where “from an action” or “held back” is a necessary part of the
meaning, which has no equivelant in English. Thus a smooth translation may
use a completely different term.

You can’t accuse me of getting this from modern Israeli Hebrew.

Karl W. Randolph.