b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Rohl's Chronology Deconstructed

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Brian Roberts <formoria AT carolina.rr.com>
  • To: MarianneLuban AT aol.com
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Rohl's Chronology Deconstructed
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 07:47:04 -0400

On Monday, July 26, 2004, at 03:51 PM, MarianneLuban AT aol.com wrote:

In a message dated 7/26/2004 11:17:08 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
formoria AT carolina.rr.com writes:

Given the tendancy of Ramesses II for self-glorification, if he had
conquered
Jerusalem, we would have heard about it. After all, he boasted plenty
about
the Battle of Kadesh--and that was not even a true victory for the
Egyptians but
a kind of "draw"--where neither side really gained much.

Do the pharaohs ever defy our expectations?

History, as we know it from any era, is not about "expectations". All we
know about any ruler in ages long past comes from his own recorded deeds or the
observations of someone else who had something to contribute. But when there
is plenty of evidence, a definite picture emerges about the character, aims,
and proclivities of any given king.

Tendencies, proclivities, character, aims. It sounds terribly nebulous and too subject to manipulation over time by those writing the papers. After a hundred years of it, you end up with an accepted expectation, based on the above. Logic dictates that our knowledge of history is not a complete corpus. Therefore we must be careful with how we apply our models and profiles.

Best Salaams,

Brian