b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 'will be established' 1 Sam 24:20 [H 21]

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Brian & Laureen Powell <PowellBrian AT omf.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 'will be established' 1 Sam 24:20 [H 21]
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 11:10:16 +0100

On 26/07/2004 02:48, Brian & Laureen Powell wrote:

... So, I looked up 'established' in my NIV concordance, and it says the Hebrew word in this verse is KWN.
How did they get from QFMFH to KWN?

This must be an error in the concordance, or your reading of it.

Does QFMFH, meaning 'standing grain', metaphorically mean to be established? The context of the word implies some such meaning.

Here you are ignoring the stress on the word. QFMFH meaning "standing grain" has stress on the second syllable, like almost all nouns ending in -FH. QFMFH in this verse is stressed on the first syllable, indicating that it is a verb form with a feminine ending. Stress is sometimes distinctive in Hebrew (as sometimes in English e.g. two senses of "desert"), and is usually clearly marked in the Masoretic text.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)