b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 'will be established' 1 Sam 24:20 [H 21]

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 'will be established' 1 Sam 24:20 [H 21]
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 06:05:17 +0200

Dear Brian,

The verb used here is Weqamah, root QWM, which means "to stand up" or "to
rise". Literally, what the verse means is "your kingdom shall rise". The
translation "Shall be established", not only in NIV but even in AV, is
simply translating the Hebrew expression into the equivelant English one.

The verb KWM does indeed mean "to establish" and could have been used
instead (see 1 Kings 2:46 - "The Kingdom was established - Nakwnah - in
Solomon's hand"), but it wasn't.

As for the noun Qamah, "standing grain", it is presumably related to the
verb QWM, but I don't think that it has anything to do with a kingdom.

Yigal