b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] qedem

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Yigal Levin <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • Cc: b-hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] qedem
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:17:34 +0100

On 23/07/2004 15:43, Yigal Levin wrote:

I'm not using any Hebrew at all, but I was using David, which your computer
may not have. I'l try to reset the default.

The issue may be that Yigal's e-mails are set to "charset="windows-1255"" which means Hebrew. So mail readers choose to render it with their default font for display of Hebrew text, which may not be very suitable for display of English text.

The workaround, at least on Windows, is to choose a default font for display of Hebrew text which looks reasonable in English, but also supports Hebrew when necessary. You could try Arial or Tahoma, which give reasonable sans-serif Latin script and Hebrew, or Times New Roman which has more traditional shapes for Hebrew. These don't look very nice with pointed Hebrew and don't support accents at all, but how often do you receive pointed or accented Hebrew by e-mail?

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)