b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Detained before the LORD 1 Sam 21: 7/8

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Brian & Laureen Powell <PowellBrian AT omf.net>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Detained before the LORD 1 Sam 21: 7/8
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 09:19:36 +0800

Greetings all.

In this verse (7 in English, 8 in Hebrew), Doeg the Edomite was said to be 'detained before the LORD'. Detained here is NE(:CFR. Correct me if I am wrong, but this looks like the Niphal of (FCAR.

Translations and commentaries in English vary on what this means. Some suggest he was forcibly restrained (ie. some kind of imprisonment), whilst others suggest that he had some kind of religious obligation that was keeping him there, or perhaps he was ritually unclean so could not perform whatever religious ceremony he had intended to do, so was waiting for the time when he would have been considered clean again.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?
Thanks

Brian

--

Brian Powell