b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The cause of the transferral of Israel's high priesthoodfrom Eleazar?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: "Kevin W. Woodruff" <cierpke AT prodigy.net>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The cause of the transferral of Israel's high priesthoodfrom Eleazar?
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 08:59:33 +0200

Chronicles "doctors" the genealogies. The Chronist makes Samuel a Levite,
instead of an Ephraimite as in 1 Samuel 1:1, because in his time, with the
Torah already out and operative, a non-Levite couldn't have assumed priestly
functions.
Sincerely,
Jonathan D. Safren, Editor
Mo'ed - Annual for Jewish Studies