b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Kadeshah & Zonah in Genesis 32 + More

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Kadeshah & Zonah in Genesis 32 + More
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 18:04:03 +0100

On 15/07/2004 16:37, Dave Washburn wrote:

On Wednesday 14 July 2004 14:22, david.kimbrough AT charter.net wrote:

I have to disagree.

1) The earliest that Genesis 32 could have been written was during the
exodus by Moses. This means the conversations of the Adullamite with the
unspecified individuals occurred hundreds of years prior, at the ealiest. It seems unlikely that Genesis 32 is a verbatim transcript of the
conversations.

No, the earliest that the form of Genesis 32 that we have could have been written was then. But there is no reason why this author, whoever one may assume that s/he was, wouldn't have used written sources from at or near the time of the events. It's possible that Gen 32 is a summary or an author's construct, but it's equally possible that it is in fact a "verbatim transcript" that Judah's family had preserved in a family record of some kind. We don't know, and we can't really assume one way or the other without emphasizing that we are in fact assuming.

[snip]

Also, the story may have been preserved verbatim (or more or less so) by oral tradition over those several hundred years.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)