b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Zonah v Qadeshah & What Judah Thought

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <david.kimbrough AT charter.net>
  • To: "Stoney Breyer" <stoneyb AT touchwood.net>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Zonah v Qadeshah & What Judah Thought
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 21:26:51 +0000

Stoney,

You are quite correct. The point is that Judah thought the woman by the road
side was a zonah. Why the vail made him think that is not the point. She
certainly acted the part during negotiations. (I wonder how the ancient
reader would have assessed the price. Was a kid a lot or little for that
sort of service?)

It is also a key point that Judah thought Tamar was a zonah as well. She was
pregnant and not by one of his sons as Judah had promised her to be.
Therefor she must be a zonah and be punished with a terrible death.

Judah was of course shigrined to find out that these two "whores" were in
fact the same woman, his twice over daughter-in-law and now the mother of two
his his three surviving children!

HOWEVER, *my* point is that the use of a kadeshah in Genesis 38 does seems (I
am not saying this is proven) to have some more honor, or was at least less
embrassing, than using a zonah. That would seem to explain why the
Adullamite was out looking for a kadeshah to redeem Judah signet, braclet,
and staff, rather than a zonah.