b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Zonah v Qadeshah in Gen 38 - Locals

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <david.kimbrough AT charter.net>
  • To: "Medina, Vincent" <VMedina AT cbcag.edu>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Zonah v Qadeshah in Gen 38 - Locals
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 20:37:21 +0000

OK, I will accept that Judah thought that woman by the road with whom he
negotiated a kid from sex was a common whore (zonah) rather than a ritual one
(kadeshah). I will also accept that when Judah heard that Tamar was pregnant
he thought she was a zonah as well. That is why he sentenced her to be
burned to death.

My question is here. Why was the Adullamite looking for a kadeshah when
Judah clear thought of the woman by the roadside as zonah? If the "locals"
understood the Hebrew word kadeshah, why would they not understand the Heberw
word zonah? They are both Hebrew words. The omniscient narrator was
carefull to use two different Hebrew words for the Hebrew speaking audiance.

It would seem that there was a different social valuation of a kadeshah vs. a
zonah in the story.