b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] "Sodomite", Homosexuality, Prostitution

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: <david.kimbrough AT charter.net>
  • To: <Bearpecs AT aol.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] "Sodomite", Homosexuality, Prostitution
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 15:42:50 +0000

The obvious and easy answer is that is why the word kadesh is often
translated as "sodomite" (see subject line). Nonetheless, while both men and
women served as ritual prostitutes (this was fund raising activity for the
cultists as well as a fertility rite) it is pretty clear that only men paid
to participate in this ritual. The more mundane commercial prostitutes of or
both ancient and modern times, male and female, service an entirely male
clientele.

In regard to Tamar, it must be remembered there is an entirely separate
Hebrew word for a common whore derived from *zanah* (to be a whore). Genesis
makes it clear she is pretending to be a *kadeshah*. When Judah unknowningly
had sexual relations with Tamar, he used the word *kadeshah* but when he
sentences Tamar to death by burning, he uses the term *zanah*.