b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] RE: Amalek

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] RE: Amalek
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 23:43:09 +0200

Dear Chris,

In the Jewish tradition, Amalek represents all those of Israel's enemies
from Haman to Hitler, who act out of pure hate and malice. The passage from
Deut. 25 (remembering to erase the memory of Amalek) is a positive
commandment, to be performed at all times. It was the basis of Samuel's
command to Saul to attack and annihilate Amalek (1 Sam. 15:2-3). Saul,
however, had mercy on Agag, king of Amalek, and Samuel had to finish the job
himself. This Agag managed to use this time to father a child (don't look
for that in the Bible) and eventually became the ancestor of Haman the
Agagite, the villain of the book of Esther. Israel's later enemies, from
Rome to Arafat, are heirs of Amalek in a more spiritual sense. Every year,
on the Sabbath before Purim (the festival which celebrates the events told
in the book of Esther), the passage from Deut. 25 is read in the synagogue,
and every Jew is expected to make a special effort to come and hear. On
Purim itself, the book of Esther is read aloud, and whenever Haman's name is
mentioned, the audience use noisemakers, cap guns, stomp their feet or
whatever, in order to drown out the sound of his name, thus "erasing his
memory".

Yigal