b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Literature and literacy contemporary to the Torah.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Literature and literacy contemporary to the Torah.
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jul 2004 22:08:37 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net>

Jack: that’s exactly the group I’m talking about, who were literate enough to
read the Bible, Shakespeare and the newspaper (to use a common 19th century
frontier example), understanding what they read, but when it came time to
write themselves, their writing had spelling, grammar and other errors, but
still good enough so that others can read and, for the most part, understand
what was written. Functional literacy.

In almost all societies, the highly literate make up only a small percentage
of the population. Some societies have such a high value of literacy that
they try to make everyone at least functionally literate, others limit
literacy to those who need it. For the most part, in traditional societies,
farmers (peasants) don’t need literacy whereas townspeople needed it more.
Hence the different rates of literacy. It is the value placed on literacy
that Bar-Ilan omitted, an omission that could invalidate his results.

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm