b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Literature and literacy contemporary to the Torah.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jonathan D. Safren" <yonsaf AT beitberl.ac.il>
  • To: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>, "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Literature and literacy contemporary to the Torah.
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:36:43 +0200

The fact that si many ancient witnesses to the text (LXX, Sam., BT Baba
Batra 14b, Josephus too if I remember correctly) have the same order of
books, would seem to led credence to the theory that the Torah has existed
as one book since ancient times.
This is also true of the Dodecapropheton, in which the LXX has the same
order as the MT, in spite of the non-tripartite arrangement of the books of
the Tanakh, with the Latter Prophets at the end. The Rabbis in BT Baba
Bathra 14b have an identical order of the 12, but argue about it a bit, but
it's an ex post facto controversy.
Not so the dscussion about order of the three Major Prophets.
Jonathan D. Safren, Editor
Mo'ed - Annual for Jewish Studies
Center for Jewish Culture
Beit Berl College