b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Interpretation of Biblical Hebrew, or Harold, is this your methodology?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Interpretation of Biblical Hebrew, or Harold, is this your methodology?
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 17:27:54 -0500

Dear Karl,

How many times have you read Tanakh cover to cover? I mean starting in Genesis and reading chapter to chapter until you reach the end of Chronicles?

HH: That's not how I read the Scripture in Hebrew, and I don't keep count.

Basically, the critique I hear from you is that you disagree with my method because it comes up with a result with which you disagree. That is not a critique of the method, for my results may have come about from my not consistently applying my method. That is why I asked what is your method? (To me it appears to accept on blind faith what experts and commentators have said.)

HH: I never criticized your method. I always criticized your results. You brought up your method. I may have said that your results suggested a flaw in your methodology.

Do you want to continue discussing the definition of XBL? If so, which one verse do you want to discuss next? So far we discussed Nehemiah 1:7 which can’t serve as a proof passage either way because it can be read both ways, and Song of Songs 2:15 where foxes do not damage vineyards, nor vines, nor blossoms, only compete with man for the ripe fruit. So which is the next one verse you want to discuss?

HH: Don't you understand that foxes which eat fruit are damaging vineyards? From the perspective of vineyard owners they are damaging the vineyard.

Concerning Proverbs 1:19, )RX has as its root meaning the concept of travelling long distances from place to place. Path or way, at least in American English, has the concept of being only local. What word would you use to carry road and long distance travel?

HH: You disagree with the lexicons again. The verb )RX in BDB means to wander, journey, go. In DCH it is journey or go, with the participle meaning wanderer, traveller. Yet both lexicons state that the noun )RX means way or path. Perhaps they felt that the noun had a specific sense according to its contexts. BDB says that only in Judges 5:6 does the word have the sense of highways. So your limitation seems unnecessary. I am used to the word having the meaning path.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard