b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] How many warriors?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: wattswestmaas <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • Cc: B-Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] How many warriors?
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2004 12:36:32 +0100

On 07/07/2004 12:09, wattswestmaas wrote:

Dear All,

This is probably an un-answerable question, nevertheless I am sure that
there must be plenty of other un-related sources that may contribute to a
reasonable guess at the following.

How many fighters do you think Amalek had during the battle with Yoshuah?

The motivation for this question is to attempt to understand his blatant
audacity at even thinking he could somehow gain from this confrontation. I
know that earlier he was nit-picking at the weaker back sections but this
would not explain his belief that he could take on a huge force and I am
only guessing at what Yoshua could have mustered maybe 25 000?? even more?

Are you asking about the battle in Exodus 17:8-13? I won't try to answer the numbers question. But it may be useful to know that the traditional site, Rephidim (Wadi Feiran), is in a narrow valley with very steep sides. See my photo at http://web.onetel.net.uk/%7Epeterkirk/Egypt%20pictures/images/1-10l.JPG, taken from what may well have been the spot where Moses watched the battle, or at least the traditional location as there were Christian ruins on the small hill. This valley was the only practical route to Sinai, and so the Israelites had to take on the Amalekites who were occupying it.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)