b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin Dalet with suffixes.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Ayin Dalet with suffixes.
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 23:40:18 -0400

Hi Chris,

I think you have the idea. See a couple comments below.

> Would you then translate Numbers 24:20 in the sense of :'amalek is moviing
> himself towrds his ultimately final end of anihalation'?

I don't know about "moving himself"; rather I think the idea is that Israel
will destroy Amelek. I think the NIV has the translation right: "...he
will come to ruin at last." I think I might translate it myself "its end
will be utter ruin." I say *utter* ruin because of `adey. Amelek will
arrive at its end, which is ruin. It cannot be any more ruined; its ruin it
total.

> Would you then translate Micah 4:8 (referring to Migadal-Eder) in the
sense
> of 'the first kingdom is on its way to you and You are that point at which
> it will culminate'?

I think that's right. Notice that (fDeyKf T")teH or `adeyka te'teh is
parallel and basically synonomous with UBf)fH , that is uba'ah.

Regards,
Bryan

B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church