b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Compound Words in Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lira" <rosangelalira AT terra.com.br>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Compound Words in Hebrew
  • Date: Sat, 3 Jul 2004 08:45:58 -0300

Sorry, my previous message went with the wrong subject line.

HH wrote:
> So the problem still remains. Was
> it 2,300 evenings and mornings, or 2,300 days? Others have noted that
> the historical fulfillment, taking the natural interpretation of this
> passage as speaking of temple desecration by Antiochus Epiphanes,
> corresponds to a period more like 1,500 days. So this favors the
> interpretation that the angel was making a wordplay. Evening and
> morning will pass enough times that 2,300 offerings of the tamid will
> be missed.
>
> Yours,
> Harold Holmyard
>
> ------------------------------

Dear Harold,

Thank you for your contribution. You are correct in pointing out that most
modern commentators would agree with Eduard's view, since Antiochus's
activities are considered the historical fulfillment of this prophecy. This
is based, I believe, mainly on the interpretation of Josephus and of the
book of Maccabees itself. In my opinion, however, commentators became so
fixed on this interpretation that they lost track of Jesus'own
interpretation to the prophecy (Matt. 24:15; Luke 21:20). But discussing
this would go beyond the parameters of B-Hebrew.

Yours,
Rosangela Lira

  • Re: [b-hebrew] Compound Words in Hebrew, Lira, 07/03/2004