b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Shield-bearer 1 Samuel 17:41

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Shield-bearer 1 Samuel 17:41
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jul 2004 14:22:47 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: RGmyrken AT aol.com

Russell:

This is interesting. We know that later after David became king, his troops
were called “hoplites” &#1492;&#1508;&#1500;&#1514;&#1497; which I opined is
a Philistine loan word into Hebrew. Apparently the Philistines were not only
armed with steel while most of their foes still had bronze, if anything, but
that they also developed battle tactics that were so good that the Greeks
were still using them centuries later. A downside is that those tactics
required an almost full-time army, hence a Philistine need for vassel nations
giving tribute to maintain their armies.

It is known that much of Greek civilization was copied from other sources in
the Levant, it would not surprise me that this is one more copy into Greek
society.

Karl W. Randolph.