b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] O'Connor-Length of Poetic Lines

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Dave Washburn <dwashbur AT nyx.net>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] O'Connor-Length of Poetic Lines
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 11:31:20 -0600

On Thursday 24 June 2004 11:18, Ken Penner wrote:
> > I was wondering if any listers had strong opinions one way or another
> > about M. O'Connor's, "Hebrew Verse Structure." What do you
> > think of his
> > line constraints? If you find them unacceptable, what system
> > do you use for determining line length?

[snip]
> O'Connor's method could possibly be salvaged by calculating a new set of
> constraints for Qumran poetry. At the very least, the maximum allowable
> unit count needs to be increased.
['nother snip]

Ken,
I was wondering about this as I read your analysis. How likely or possible
is
it that poetic structure changed between the time of most BH poetry and the
Qumran poem you analyzed? If there was a lot of change, that would render
O'Connor's approach useless for the Qumran poetry but perhaps useful for the
BH poetry. I don't know; as I said before, I'm not a poetry person. But I'd
be interested in your view about the possibilities of such a major shift in
poetic structure and conventions between the two relative time periods?

--
Dave Washburn
http://www.nyx.net/~dwashbur