b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] O'Connor-Length of Poetic Lines

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Ken Penner" <pennerkm AT mcmaster.ca>
  • To: "'Medina, Vincent'" <VMedina AT cbcag.edu>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] O'Connor-Length of Poetic Lines
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 13:18:37 -0400

> I was wondering if any listers had strong opinions one way or another
> about M. O'Connor's, "Hebrew Verse Structure." What do you
> think of his
> line constraints? If you find them unacceptable, what system
> do you use for determining line length?

For my MA, I compared prominent theories on Hebrew poetics, and tested their
applicability to a poem from the Dead Sea Scrolls (1QHa XI, 20-37). I did
not find O'Connor's conclusions to be helpful in this particular case study.
In general, I found Watson (Classical Hebrew Poetry : A Guide to its
Techniques [JSOTSup 26; Sheffield: JSOT Press, 1984]) to be the most