b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] MT for all OT Translations?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: phil-eng AT ighmail.com
  • Cc: 'b-hebrew' <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] MT for all OT Translations?
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 06:42:30 -0700

On 21/06/2004 05:01, Philip Engmann wrote:

"All Bible Societies in the world use the Masoretic Text for Old
Testament translations and note the variants in the footnotes".

Would you agree with the above statement?

Philip Engmann

Not all translations note the variants. In the translation project I am working on, on the advice of the Bible Societies' consultant, footnotes indicating textual variants were mostly deleted as confusing to new readers, and in most cases (not all) MT was followed rather than LXX. 2 Samuel 8:13 is an example of where the translation follows LXX rather than MT without a footnote, because there is also good evidence from some Hebrew MSS, Syriac and parallel passages, and from the context. But in v.12 the translation follows MT without a footnote, which seems questionable to me.

--
Peter Kirk
peter AT qaya.org (personal)