b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7:8 "rosh"

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 7:8 "rosh"
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 12:50:38 -0500

Chemorion:

”Head“ also refers to leader, as in Exodus 6:14, 25, Numbers 14:4 and many
other verses.

I don‘t know of anywhere where ”head“ can mean ”to rely on“.

Isaiah 7:8 is at least semi-poetic, and in a poetic style emphasized that the
head (leader) of Aram was Damascus, and the head (leader) of Damascus Rezin,
in a context where almighty God is the head (leader) of Judea, therefore
Rezin could attack only with the permission of God.

Karl W. Randolph.