b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] DSS and Roman numerals

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Jack Kilmon" <jkilmon AT historian.net>
  • To: "Gary" <gary.pauley AT millcreek-kc.org>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] DSS and Roman numerals
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 08:40:06 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary" <gary.pauley AT millcreek-kc.org>
To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
Sent: Monday, June 14, 2004 8:26 AM
Subject: [b-hebrew] DSS and Roman numerals

> I recently read an article telling about Roman numberals (a 2 and a 3)
found
> in the text of the Isaiah Scroll. Supposedly the existence of these
numerals
> cast doubt on the dating of the DSS. Anyone know anything about this?

There is a discussion of this on the textual criticism list. The proponents
Altman and Crowder have been gadflying this medieval origin for the DSS for
years. There are a number of explanations for the scribal anomalies which
also include very discolored pages of the scrolls as well as creative bat
shit.

Jack