b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Amelek (Ex 17:16) 'Sworn' or 'Throne of GoD'?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "wattswestmaas" <wattswestmaas AT eircom.net>
  • To: "B-Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.Ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Amelek (Ex 17:16) 'Sworn' or 'Throne of GoD'?
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2004 16:24:31 +0200

Members of the List - Hallo.

Subject: KeSJaH -- EXODUS 17:16 -- War with Amelek

I have two possibilities here; either that this word is made up of KeS (in
the construct and therefore bound to the name of God also in contraction)
and JaH. OR the word is linked to a rather forced situation where it means
'The Lord has Sworn'. What is more is that in one bible I have the letter
'HeH' on the word Jah with a dagesh signifying JaH as GoD (by virtue that it
becomes a consonant) and in my other bible I have it without the dagesh
signifying that this is obviously a vowel situation or direction of purpose.

In thinking about these 2 translations I cannot help but consider the
circumstances of Moshe's raised hands in this symbolic struggle as helping
me to decide on the idea that 'a hand to the throne of GoD is more
appropriate.

As always I appreciate your knowledgable insights to make up for where I am
lacking.

Thanking you

Chris.