b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Job: Who influenced whom?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Michael Abernathy" <mabernathy AT isot.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Job: Who influenced whom?
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 12:13:10 -0500

>> Job is said to own 3,000 camels. It is pretty well established that
>> camels were not domesticated too much before 1,000 BC. Job is also
>> presented as being a sedentary individual, not a migratory shepherd as
>> would be more appropriate to a Israelite of the patriarchal era.>>

I don't want to get off point but this is a common error. We have had
archaeological evidence to the contrary for about 70 years but this keeps
showing up in books. I have a recent edition of An Old Testament survey by
Lasor, Hubbard, and Bush in my office. The body of the text makes a similar
statement on page 42. Seven hundred and seven pages later a footnote that
evidence now suggests that camels may have been known to the inhabitants of
Syria-Palestine as early as the turn of the 3rd millenium BC.
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy
>From tmcos AT rogers.com Fri Jun 11 13:08:02 2004
by fep04-mail.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com
(InterMail vM.5.01.05.12 201-253-122-126-112-20020820) with ESMTP id

<20040611170553.NYRO456352.fep04-mail.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com@cr1060240a>
for <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>; Fri, 11 Jun 2004 13:05:53 -0400