b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Michael Abernathy" <mabernathy AT isot.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] OT: a link about Modern Hebrew
  • Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 09:19:05 -0500

Thank you for responding. This will my last post on this subject. It has no
relevance to Biblical Hebrew and you have not shown enough knowledge of the
New Testament to make your comments relevant to that study.
"Even if Jesus existed. . . " Ok, there have been some scholars in the past
who denied the existence of Jesus. But you are considerably out of date if
you think the historicity of the person of Jesus is in serious question.
Historians like Michael Grant might not accept the gospels in their entirety
as history but I believe this quote from Grant is relevant, "But above all,
if we apply to the New Testament, as we should, the same sort of criteria as
we should apply to other ancient writings containing historical material, we
can no more reject Jesus' existence than we can reject the existence of a
mass of pagan personages whose reality is never questioned." (Jesus: An
Historian's Review of the Gospels pp. 199-200).
"Paul was a proselyte at max. . ." Prior to the discovery of the Dead Sea
Scrolls, many scholars were convinced that Paul's Christianity came from
Greek Philosophy and religion. This was largely because Paul used certain
words and phrases like "mystery," and "knowledge " in ways that scholars
associated with the mystery religions. Both were found in the Habbakuk
Commentary and the Manual of Discipline. Other phrases which were associated
with Hellenistic Christianity like "Son of God" were also found in the Dead
Sea Scrolls.
I don't doubt that there are those who would continue to argue your version
of how the Christian faith came into existence. However, there are an
increasing number of scholars both Christian and Jewish who have concluded
that both Paul and Jesus were firmly within the realm of first century
Judaism. See for example Schalom Ben-Chorim.
Sincerely,
Michael Abernathy

>>This was discussed millions of times. Even if any Jesus existed, he did not
start a sect. His teaching in the gospels is fully within the Torah. Paul
was a proselyte at the max, and started Christianity by involving gentiles.
By the same token, you cannot call, say, pupils of Gamliel I members of
Gamliel' sect.<<