b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] A Reply - WAV question

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Maurice A. O'Sullivan" <mauros AT iol.ie>
  • To: "UUC" <vadim_lv AT center-tv.net>
  • Cc: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] A Reply - WAV question
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 17:49:27 +0100

At 11:48 30/05/2004, UUC wrote:

This is close
to what Chomsky says, actually. There is a built-in mechanism in our minds
for understanding the structure of language;

Three days ago a linguist called Larry Trask, who had never accepted this, died.

As his obituary in " The Times " [ London ] of March 28 stated:

>> He rejected any theory that could not be supported through evidence and refuted much that was myth and conjecture. <<

and it went on to deal specifically with this point of Chomsky's

>> Trask was an opponent of Chomsky's theories of Universal Grammar, first proposed in the late 1950s and by this time widely accepted. Chomsky had proposed that some fundamentals of grammar are hard-wired into the human brain before birth, but that some options within it are fixed later by experience. Trask believed that there was no evidence to support this idea, and that it should not be taught as fact. His own arguments were always based on sound knowledge of facts and scientific principles, and he would take the greatest pains to make sure they were understood by everyone from first-year undergraduates to colleagues and competitors. <<

Maurice A. O'Sullivan [ Bray, Ireland ]
mauros AT iol.ie