b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus and Hebrew Language

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Exodus and Hebrew Language
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 15:02:26 +0200

First of all, Jack is correct: the Izbet Sartah ostracon IS in
proto-Canaanite script. But its in a trnsitional phase: proto-Canaanite
seems to have had more than 22 letters, while the ISO abecedary seems to
have been meant to have just the 22. Some of the letter shapes seem to be
more "Phoenecian" than proto-Canaanite. And the fact that the order of most
of the letters conforms with the order known from the Bible is significant.

As far as the ISO's language (as opposed to script) - since no one has yet
managed to read the top 4 rows and the fifth is just an alphabet,
theoretically it could be anything. However, as I've said, the
archaeological context is that of an "Israelite" hill-country village. Just
what that means, I'm sure y'all know, is debated, but the site is certainly
NOT Philistine. Of course, the ostraca COULD have been written by a
Philistine or a Canaanite in nearby Aphek and "planted" at Izbet Sartah....
: )

Yigal