b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] question re: Tel Dan stela

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George Athas" <gathas AT hotkey.net.au>
  • To: "b-hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] question re: Tel Dan stela
  • Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 22:00:15 +1000

Hi Peter!

Thank you for mentioning the biblical examples. You'll notice that neither 2
Sam 2.11 or 1 Kgs 20.31 refer to dynasties -- they refer to state entities
(Judah and Israel respectively). They actually count as evidence against
seeing the phrase [ML]K.BYTDWD in the Tel Dan Inscription as referring to a
dynasty. Similarly, the example from Josh 12.16 sees someone dubbed as the
king of a geographical location (Bethel). It is this type of construction
that the Tel Dan Inscription preserves.

Best regards,

GEORGE ATHAS
Lecturer in Biblical Languages