b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] question re: Tel Dan stela

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "George Athas" <gathas AT hotkey.net.au>
  • To: "Scott Needham" <jsn AT hwhome.com>, <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] question re: Tel Dan stela
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 19:35:30 +1000

Hi Scott!

The Tel Dan Stele incorporates word dividers even in construct expressions --
witness line 8 of Fragment A and the expression MLK.Y$R)L. This makes the
word BYTDWD particularly interesting. I have suggested that this shows the
word BYTDWD to be a place name (a toponym) rather than a construct expression.

The dominant theory has been to see the phrase [ML]K.BYTDWD as similar to
other Ancient Near Eastern designations for states, such as "Bit-Humri"
(House of Omri) for Israel. This sees the state named after one of its
prominent rulers. The problem with this reasoning is that it would require
the phrase in the Tel Dan Stele to actually read: [ML]K.DWD -- in other
words, the element BYT should not be there. The fact that BYT is there,
however, is the thorn in the side of the dominant theory. To say "King of the
House of David" is a bit like saying "President of the Bush Household" or
even "President of the Whitehouse". Such expressions don't make sense. Using
our contemporary examples, we would have to say "President of the USA", or
some such expression.

This to me says that BYTDWD is indeed the name of a place, rather than the
name of a dynasty. I suggest that this place is actually Jerusalem. In other
words, BYTDWD (Bayt-Dawid) is an Aramaic version of the Hebrew name (YR-DWD
(City of David). This would see the Tel Dan Stele, which I date to c.795 BC
(written by Bar-Hadad, son of Hazael), being a witness to some sort of state
entity in Jerusalem. That is, it sees Jerusalem as a city state, albeit very
small, ruled by a famous family -- a kind of Monaco of the ancient world,
only far less glamorous.

You can find a more detailed argument in my book, The Tel Dan Inscription: A
Reappraisal and a New Interpretation (Sheffield Academic, 2003).