b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] RE: End of the Age

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] RE: End of the Age
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 13:52:23 -0400

Dear Lee,
Wow! This is certainly not my area of expertise.
I remember not being impressed with Hanson's
Dawn of Apocalyptic, primarily tho because of
his treatment of Ezekiel, Zechariah, etc.
He viewed them in opposition to apocalyptic.
I certainly see them, and especially Ezekiel,
as the originator of mystical thought.
Ezekiel was certainly looking forward to a time
of the return, as was Isaiah. Daniel follows in
Ezekiel and Zechariah's footsteps by having an
angelic interlocutor explain to him of events
he wouldn't know or understand otherwise. I should
also mention Enoch in this regard. So I would agree
that mysticism, or whatever this is, is pre-Hellenistic.
I don't know if these books have the concept of
an end time however. I don't translate "yamim aherim" as
"end time" for example, or "the end of days," for example,
to bring the conversation back to biblical hebrew.
Best,
LIz