b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Jericho(5)

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Harold R. Holmyard III" <hholmyard AT ont.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Jericho(5)
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 07:15:39 -0500

Dear Ephraim,

Next, we have 120 years for the combined reigns of Solomon, David,
and Saul. Therefore, Saul began the monarchy in 1102 BC. But now,
we need an accurate defined length of time for the period of the Judges.
In Acts chapter 13, Paul gives a historical narrative of the nation of
Israel. He cites that there was a total of 450 years for the Judges, which
yields the year 1552 BC for the end of the conquest. Add 6 years (5.5)
for the conquest, we now have 1558 BC for the fall of Jericho.

HH: This may be where the problem is. A commentary on Acts that I am looking at (Homer A. Kent, Jerusalem to Rome) says that the 450 years includes the time of Israel in Egypt, the wilderness wandering, and the time of the conquest (Acts 13:19-20). So it doesn't just take one back to the beginning of Judges. In fact, it does not even count the period of the judges. Another commentary (Mikeal C. Parsons and Martin M. Culy, Acts: A Handbook on the Greek Text) agrees with this assessment, calling this a parenthetical statement summarizing the period described in Acts 13:17-19: four hundred years in Egypt, forty years in the wilderness, and about ten years during which the land was being distributed among the tribes of Israel.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard

Yours,
harold Holmyard

Now. Why is 1st Kings 6:1 in error (or miscopied)? If you withdraw
480 years from 1018 BC, the fourth year of Solomon, you have
1498 BC as being the year of the Exodus. But that is not correct. It
is 100 years off. Go backward 40 years from 1558 BC, you have 1598
BC as the correct year of the Exodus. Ms. Kathy Kenyon confirmed
the 1558 BC date for the fire damage of the Jericho walls. Archaeology
provides the key to the correct chronology.

Therefore, Israel became slaves in 1998 BC, and Jacob brought his
family to Joseph (during the famine) into Egypt in 2028 BC. Joseph,
being thirty years old, was appointed governor in 2038 BC.

Before I forget, 4267 BC is not the year the world began:

<<( Now, if the Bible has "erred" on this point how do we know for sure that
<<the world began 4267 BC ?

What I said was, "the fall of MODERN man was in 4267 BC.

The floor is open for discussion.

Regards,
Herm