b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Learning weak verbs.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: kwrandolph <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Learning weak verbs.
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 09:46:18 -0700

Chris:

Think of how you learned weak verbs in your native tongue. Then transfer that over to Biblical Hebrew.

As for me, I just started reading, using an analytical lexicon. After a few times through Tanakh, my analytical lexicon was falling apart with pages scattering to the winds, but I had learned most of the irregular verb forms, including all the most common ones, and a feel for how to track down the roots for the less common ones, so I no longer need the analytical lexicon.

This was not a scholarly method and I don't recommend it for class. But I had studied only two semesters of Biblical Hebrew because I wanted to read Tanakh, and I was doing that. If you need to learn it quickly for class, there may be a more appropriate method, but for simple understanding Tanakh on one's own time, I found this a way to accomplish my goal without getting frustrated.

To you teachers out there, I can hear you cringing, even through your keyboards just from your hands touching them.

This is not a shortcut, but I hope it helps.