b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] agent or patient in Psa. 33:12?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Lisbeth S. Fried" <lizfried AT umich.edu>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] agent or patient in Psa. 33:12?
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 19:50:31 -0400

Dear Michael,
What I'm trying to tell you is that this translation is impossible.
You can't say "chosen him" and assume that lw is "him" the
object of "chosen." The object of chosen bHr is always bw, never
lw.
(I don't know how to transliterate, but you get the point.)
The force of the lw in the sentence is "for himself." It refers
back to the subject. BHR takes Bet.
Hebrew doesn't have a separate reflexive pronoun, so lw
substitutes.
Best,
LIz Fried
A2