b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Studying Modern and Biblical

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Deborah Millier <deborahmillier AT yahoo.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Studying Modern and Biblical
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 16:55:23 -0700 (PDT)

James Bowick wrote:

> I am beginning a self-study refresher of my
> introductory Hebrew in prep for
> an Intermediate Hebrew course in Seminary. I am
> considering studying modern
> Hebrew at the same time to take advantage of the
> immersion resources
> available (subtitled movies, modern literature in
> parallel, friends that are
> native speakers, etc.) The biggest drawback I see
> is learning a lot of
> extra non-Biblical vocab. Are there other hazzards
> and pitfalls of this
> course of study?

As Yigal said, the grammar in Modern Hebrew is
simpler, yet the vocabulary more developed--often
extending the semantic range of biblical Hebrew words.
However, in my opinion, the benefits far outweigh the
risks. You get a certain "feel" for the language when
you study and *speak* Hebrew in its living form. I
also wish you great success in your endeavors.

Sincerely,
-- Michael Millier