b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: furuli AT online.no
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Isaiah 53
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 00:20:27 +0200

Dear Cherny and Nikolay,

I read quickly through your work on Isaiah 53 and found many interesting points. Just a few comments at this stage: Some time ago I gave a lecture on the verbal system of Classical Hebrew for a group working with Bible translation, and I used Isaiah 53 as an example. In my Norwegian translation almost all verbs have future tense. So I would like to ask. Why should we in a prophetic text referring to the future use simple past and perfect, or even present? Are there any lexical, grammatical, or syntactical data that would prevent a translator from consistently using future tense in prophecies referring to the future?

Best regards

Rolf Furuli

Gentlemen:

Recently, we finished almost a year-long project on literal translation of
the chapter 53, a prophetic cornerstone of Christianity. This work brought
about a translation considerably different from any we are aware of, and
also produced an unusual meaning.

The article submissions to about two dozen journals were rejected without
a single meaningful objection. Nor did any of the reviewers pinpoint flaws
in our argument. "Impossible" was the most common answer. However, as we
see it, this is what Isaiah meant.

We would be glad to post the article (since it is about 80k in size, we
are awaiting for your approval), or you may read it at

http://www.anarcho.net/on_religion/Ieshayahu%2053.htm

We would appreciate your review of this article, and certainly your
comments are important to us.

Sincerely yours,

Vadim Cherny,
Nikolay Bondarchuk