b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Studying Modern and Biblical Hebrew

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.ac.il>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Studying Modern and Biblical Hebrew
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 02:25:21 -0400

Shalom James,

As I've said many times, I think that modern (as well as Mishnaic) Hebrew
is deffinately a must for any Biblical scholar. No scholar of Medieval
French literature would darenot be fluent in modern French. There is a lot
of work being done in biblical studies and related subjects that is
published in Hebrew.

HOWEVER: there are also pifalls. I don't think that "overload" is one of
them, but you have to be aware that modern Hebrew grammar and vocabulary
are often different than biblical. "Knowing" wat a word means in modern
Hebrew is often misleading, since in the biblicalit can mean somthing else
(one of the reasons that the so-called "Joash inscription" was labled a
forgery was because it used the tern "Bedeq Habbayyit" in the modern sense
of "repairing the house" rather than in the biblical of "the crack in the
house"). Also, the transloteration scheme often used is different. But
since you've already had beginner's biblical Hebrew, you are probably aware
of this - so by all means: Behatslaxah!

Yigal