b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Re: Syriac Grammar

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Julie Devall" <krena_li_mara AT hotmail.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Re: Syriac Grammar
  • Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 13:26:42 +0000

Dear Jonathan,

The short of it is, if you have mastery over at least Hebrew via Gesenius, Jouon, or other traditional grammars, then you will be able to learn with these grammars. There may be better grammars than Gordon's nowadays...

The good thing about Thackston is that once you master his format of grammar, it is easier to progress to his other grammars. So, after you learn Syriac, you can access his Arabic or Persian grammars. I'm studying Arabic right now, and the problem I've found with Thackston's grammar is that it doesn't provide the vowels that you need as a beginner/self-learner, to be able to generate the language. He provides them in transliteration, but without tutelage, I've gotten to lesson 8 then stopped about 3 times over the years. I'm now under the tutelage of an Islamic teacher who says that this grammar would be hard even for native Arabic speakers.

We need more grammars that are are intuitive, organic to the texts to which they are representing, and that are student friendly, allowing students to work actual texts before they get too bored or lost... ;)

Shalom,

Julie

Mother’s Day is May 9. Make it special with great ideas from the Mother’s Day Guide! http://special.msn.com/network/04mothersday.armx

  • [b-hebrew] Re: Syriac Grammar, Julie Devall, 05/07/2004