b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] $wbb from two roots?

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] $wbb from two roots?
  • Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 00:17:57 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: "Yigal Levin" <leviny1 AT mail.biu.a

Jeremiah 3:14 is in my list, referring to apostate, i.e. having left their
God, and God commends them to return. I don’t see the concept of rebellion
per se.

Hebrew already has two words connected with rebellion, PW( and MRD, and a
third word with the concept of defiance often used in the context of
rebellion, MR) or MRH.

As for Isaiah 44:26, I noticed the possible meaning of returning, but in the
context that the cities of Judeah will be built, the meaning of Jerusalem
being settled makes better contextual sense than being returned.

As a matter of practice, I try to read each lexeme the same way each time it
is used, unless there is good reason not to. Except for a few lexemes used
more than about 50 times, I check each occurrence to see if one meaning holds.

Every time that I have recognized that $BB or one of its binyamim is used, it
appears to have a meaning connected with removing one from one’s proper
place, either physically or spiritually (apostate). However, $WBB could stem
from two different roots, one $BB and the other $WB and the contexts seem to
indicate that sometimes one, sometimes the other is meant. That’s why I asked
my question to see if others had noticed the same pattern.

Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm