b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Translation and fonts need +ACI-Uniscribe+ACI- 1.405.2416.1 or later

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Peter Kirk <peterkirk AT qaya.org>
  • To: Dora Smith <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • Cc: b-hebrew list <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] Hebrew Translation and fonts need +ACI-Uniscribe+ACI- 1.405.2416.1 or later
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 02:32:05 -0700

On 14/04/2004 20:29, Dora Smith wrote:

>The message below is an old message from this list. It evolved into a
>discussion on open fonts - not which way I want to go.
>
>The file I keep getting told to download in order to display Hebrew on some
>web pages, that I also need to display unicode Hebrew in Outlook Express, is
>apparently called Unicode. It specifically says to download Unicode, then
>told me it didn't find it on my IE 5.5 installation CD.
>
>According to my research Unicode is also known as USP10.DLL, and also known
>as "Uniscribe processor".

Just to clarify, "Uniscribe processor" is the correct name, and the
filename is USP10.DLL. It is not called "Unicode", which is not the name
of a Microsoft program but of a character coding standard. It might be
called something like "Unicode script processor", i.e. the processor for
script encoded in Unicode. Similarly, you might find a module called
"Hebrew support", but that does not imply that "Hebrew" is the name of a
Microsoft program.

"Unicode is also known as USP10.DLL" is certainly an incorrect
statement, similar to "Hebrew is also known as IELPKIW.CAB" (which is in
fact the name of a Hebrew support package for IE 5.5).

>It ships with new versions of IE, WORD and other things. But Microsoft
>does not still offer any freestanding version of its Hebrew language
>support.

Full Hebrew support is built into Windows 2000 and XP, and into IE 5.5
and later and Office 2000 and later. It was not built into Windows 95,
and that is why you have had to add extra support. It is not a matter of
"still" but "no longer"; Microsoft is no longer offering the Hebrew
language support for Windows 95 because that system is considered obsolete.

>It turns out I actually have Unicode ...

Uniscribe, please.

>... in my system file where it belongs -
>but it is too old. I have version 1.0325.2180.1, at 337 K or something.
>Version 1.405.2416.1 was the first version to support Hebrew - and the popup
>message I am getting specifically says that the file I am looking for is 449
>K - though how it knows the size of the file if it can't find it and needs
>me to insert a "windows update CD" is beyond me.
>
>Peter Kirk sent me something he calls Hebrew Service Pack for IE 5.5 or
>something that I haven't tried to install yet because I don't know what it
>is and he didn't know if it would install.

It is what it says it is, the package of programs needed to support
Hebrew in IE 5.5. But it doesn't include Uniscribe which probably needs
to be updated separately. Either you already have this Hebrew support
already installed, or you will need to install it in addition to
updating Uniscribe.

>According to information on the web installing Hebrew support could be as
>easy as booting my computer into DOS and switching USP10.DLL files.
>Apparently you can't switch it with Windows running because it is an active
>system file.
>
>If someone has a version of IE - like IE 6, or WORD atleast 2000, or
>anything else that has a verison of Uniscribe that supports Hebrew, will
>they please e-mail me at villandra+AEA-austin.rr.com a copy of their
>USP10.DLL
>file. It should be found in your Windows/ Winnt32 system folder. Hopefully
>it is not ncessary to boot into DOS to copy it.

I have now sent to Dora an updated version of Uniscribe.

--
Peter Kirk
peter+AEA-qaya.org (personal)