b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Need help identifying a Hebrew post.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Dora Smith" <villandra AT austin.rr.com>
  • To: "b-hebrew list" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Need help identifying a Hebrew post.
  • Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 19:36:35 -0500

Here it is. Seems you can't bcc. Have to post separately.

I am hoping someone on this list will recognize the book - it pretty much
has to be one of those listed below. Mr. D'Aniello could be on vacation,
could be not feeling helpful, might not want to go to the shelf and find the
book.

Mr. D'Aniello:

Sometime between 1984 and 1994, I used and photocopied part of a biblical
Hebrew text in Lockwood library. I have since moved to Austin, Texas, and
did not bring this copy with me, nor do I remember the title or author.

It was not only an excellent Biblical Hebrew text but seemingly a unique
one. I would very much like to identify it so that I can obtain my own
copy.

As I recall, the book was typing paper size, ie, 9 X 11 or thereabouts, and
had a hard blue cover of the sort that are put on paperback books. It
could have been a similar color, like green. It was the kind of a cover
into which Lockwood Library binds all paperback books.

The book was fairly recent. The pages were not yellowed. I recall it being
published in the 1970's but it could have been published between 1960 and
1990. I don't believe we are talking about a very old book. We also
cannot be talking about a book published since 1998.

The title as well as the text were definitely in English. The Hebrew was in
Hebrew script.

The chapters are extremely clearly and simply written, which by itself is
almost unique for textbooks of Biblical Hebrew, and the book has ALOT of
exercises that include systematic grammatical exercises, which again is
pretty much unique among Hebrew textbooks.

Somewhere in the first chapters is a translation exercise on Goldilocks and
the Three Bears and/or Little Red Ridinghood that includes the three
different sized chairs and possibly the wolf. There was also atleast one
passage from the Book of Ruth.

I recall the author as being a man with a very Jewish name, which could be
Weinstein or Aharoni or something.

But descriptions I have found online of one of Ethelyn Simon's books, that
Lockwood Library has, sound very much like the book I remember. Unusually
clear and simple grammatical explanations, many exercises that include
grammar, passages from the Book of Ruth and modern folk tales written in
Biblical Hebrew. This book is a paperback with a picturesque cover - but
Lockwood Library would have bound it into a plain hard cloth cover.

Below is a listing from Lockwood's card catalogue of all of the Hebrew texts
that the UB libraries have, that even vaguely match the description of the
book I am looking for, found under Hebrew Language--grammar and Hebrew
Language--self instruction, and hebrew language as a key word. All have
call numbers between PJ 4564 and PJ4567.5, which should be a small and
discrete area on the shelf.

If the memory that the book was large and blue doesn't immediately lead to
it, please concentrate on the books that have lines of stars in the first
line as these are NOT available to me to look at myself at any public,
university or seminary library in Austin - and also Weinstein's book which
may have more than one edition. Ethelyn Simon's book is such a book. All
libraries in Austin have only her OTHER text that is not nearly as good.
Since it is impossible to buy the book for less than $40 and other than
online or by mail order, I would not want to order it without being sure it
is the correct book.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas
villandra AT austin.rr.com

*************** Location: Call Number: Status:
LOCKWOOD Book Collection PJ4567 .C7 Not checked out
TITLE: Beginners' Hebrew grammar, by Rev. Harold L. Creager ... with the
collaboration of Rev. Herbert C. Alleman.
AUTHOR: Creager, Harold Luther, 1897-
CONTRIBUTORS: Alleman, Herbert Christian, 1868-1953.
PUBLISHED: Boston, New York <etc.> D. C. Heath and company <c1927>
SUBJECTS: Hebrew language--Grammar.
Location: Call Number: Status:
LOCKWOOD Book Collection PJ4567.3 .B74 2002 Not checked out

Location: Call Number: Status:
LOCKWOOD Book Collection PJ4567 .B625 Not checked out
TITLE: A grammar of biblical Hebrew / by Joshua Blau.
AUTHOR: Blau, Joshua, 1919-
PUBLISHED: Wiesbaden : O. Harrassowitz, 1976.
SUBJECTS: Hebrew language--Grammar.
SERIES: Porta linguarum orientalium ; neue Serie, 12.
NOTES: Includes texts in Hebrew.
Bibliography: p. <142>-151.

Location: Call Number: Status:
LOCKWOOD Book Collection PJ4567.3 .B67 1998 Not checked out
TITLE: A grammar of biblical Hebrew / Robert Bornemann.
AUTHOR: Bornemann, Robert.
PUBLISHED: Lanham, MD : University Press of America, c1998.
SUBJECTS: Hebrew language--Grammar.
NOTES: Includes index.
CONTENTS: pt. 1. An introduction to biblical Hebrew -- pt. 2. Continuing
biblical Hebrew.

Location: Call Number: Status:
LOCKWOOD Book Collection PJ4567 .U5 Not checked out
TITLE: Hebrew basic course. Joseph A. Reif <linguist in charge of
project> Hanna Levinson, <language instructor>
AUTHOR: Foreign Service Institute (U.S.)
CONTRIBUTORS: Reif, Joseph A.
Levinson, Hanna.
PUBLISHED: Washington <For sale by the Superintendent of Documents, U.S.
Govt. Print. Off.> 1965.
SUBJECTS: Hebrew language--Grammar.
SERIES: Foreign Service Institute basic course series.

Location: Call Number: Status:
LOCKWOOD Book Collection PJ4567 .L3 1973 Not checked out
TITLE: Introduction to Biblical Hebrew <by> Thomas O. Lambdin.
AUTHOR: Lambdin, Thomas Oden.
PUBLISHED: London, Darton, Longman and Todd, 1973.
SUBJECTS: Hebrew language--Grammar.
NOTES: Includes index.
Bibliography: p. 315.

Location: Call Number: Status:
LOCKWOOD Book Collection PJ4567 .A2
TITLE: Modern Hebrew reader and grammar / by Reuben Wallenrod and Abraham
Aaroni.
AUTHOR: Wallenrod, Reuben.
CONTRIBUTORS: Aaroni, Abraham.
PUBLISHED: <New York, Shilo, 1942-1945.>
SUBJECTS: Hebrew language--Readers.
Hebrew language--Grammar.
NOTES: Title also in Hebrew.

Location: Call Number: Status:
LOCKWOOD Book Collection PJ4564 .S26 Not checked out
TITLE: A modern introduction to biblical Hebrew / by John F. A. Sawyer.
AUTHOR: Sawyer, John F. A.
PUBLISHED: Stocksfield, Eng. ; Boston : Oriel Press, 1976.
SUBJECTS: Hebrew language--Grammar.
NOTES: Errata slip mounted on flyleaf.
Includes indexes.
Bibliography: p. 193-195.

Location: Call Number: Status:
LOCKWOOD Book Collection PJ4567 .W4 1972 Not checked out
TITLE: A practical grammar for classical Hebrew.
AUTHOR: Weingreen, J. (Jacob)
EDITION: 2d ed.
PUBLISHED: Oxford Clarendon Press <1972, c1959>
SUBJECTS: Hebrew language--Grammar.

Location: Call Number: Status:
LOCKWOOD Book Collection PJ4567 .R6 1962 Not checked out
TITLE: A textbook of Israeli Hebrew, with an introduction to the classical
language <by> Haiim B. Rosen.
OTHER TITLES: Israeli Hebrew.
AUTHOR: Rosen, Haiim B., 1922-
PUBLISHED: <Chicago> University of Chicago Press <1962>
SUBJECTS: Hebrew language--Grammar.

Location: Call Number: Status:
LOCKWOOD Book Collection PJ4567 .R6 1966 Not checked out
TITLE: A textbook of Israeli Hebrew, with an introduction to the
classical language <by> Haiim B. Rosen.
OTHER TITLES: Israeli Hebrew.
AUTHOR: Rosen, Haiim B., 1922-
EDITION: 2d corr. ed.
PUBLISHED: Chicago, University of Chicago Press <1966>
SUBJECTS: Hebrew language--Grammar.

************************Location: Call Number: Status:
LOCKWOOD Book Collection PJ4564 .G68 1989 Not checked out
TITLE: The grammar of modern Hebrew / Lewis Glinert.
AUTHOR: Glinert, Lewis.
PUBLISHED: Cambridge ; New York : Cambridge University Press, 1989.
SUBJECTS: Hebrew language--Grammar--1950-
NOTES: Bibliography: p. 571-578.

*************Location: Call Number: Status:
LOCKWOOD Book Collection PJ4564 .G73 1872 Not checked out
TITLE: A grammar of the Hebrew language/ by William Henry Green.
AUTHOR: Green, William Henry, 1825-1900.
EDITION: 3rd ed.
PUBLISHED: New York : John Wiley, 1872, c1861.
SUBJECTS: Hebrew language--Grammar, Comparative.

Location: Call Number: Status:
LOCKWOOD Book Collection PJ4564 .G685 1991 Not checked out
TITLE: Chik-Chak! : a gateway to Modern Hebrew grammar / Lewis
Glinert.
OTHER TITLES: Gateway to modern Hebrew grammar.
AUTHOR: Glinert, Lewis.
PUBLISHED: London : School of Oriental and African Studies, 1991.
SUBJECTS: Hebrew language--Grammar.
NOTES: Text in English and Hebrew.

***************** Location: Call Number: Status:
LOCKWOOD Book Collection PJ4567.5 .F5 Not checked out
TITLE: The First Hebrew primer for adults : biblical and prayerbook
Hebrew : an easy self-teaching text designed for people who have not studied
in years / Ethelyn Simon ... <et al.>.
OTHER TITLES: Hebrew primer for adults.
CONTRIBUTORS: Simon, Ethelyn.
PUBLISHED: Oakland, Calif. : EKS Pub. Co., c1981.
SUBJECTS: Hebrew language--Self-instruction.
NOTES: English and Hebrew.

Location: Call Number: Status:
LOCKWOOD Book Collection PJ4567 .M23 1978 Not checked out
TITLE: Biblical Hebrew step-by-step / Menahem Mansoor.
AUTHOR: Mansoor, Menahem, 1911-
EDITION: <Rev.>
PUBLISHED: Grand Rapids : Baker c1978.
SUBJECTS: Hebrew language--Textbooks for foreign speakers.

Location: Call Number: Status:
UNDERGRADUATE Book Collection PJ4567.5 .H3 Overdue as of 03/30/2004
UNDERGRADUATE Book Collection PJ4567.5 .H3 Not checked out
TITLE: Teach yourself Hebrew.
AUTHOR: Harrison, R. K. (Roland Kenneth)
PUBLISHED: London, English Universities Press <1955>
SUBJECTS: Hebrew language--Self-instruction.
SERIES: Teach yourself books.

Yours,
Dora Smith
Austin, Texas