b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 3:1 - Paratz

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 3:1 - Paratz
  • Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 13:38:34 -0400

Hi Rudy, 1 Chr 31:5, which uses the qal infinitive, may help. vekiprots
haddabar..."And when the matter broke out..." I guess the idea in 1 Chr is
that when the request spread, such and such happened. The niphal often
expresses the passive of its qal counterpart, so a breaking out in qal
becomes a "being spread abroad" in niphal. Hope this helps.

Shalom, Bryan

You wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> In the text above the JPS renders 'paratz' as 'not widespread' and
> similarly the NKJV renders the same word 'no widespread' yet in NIDOTTE
> the general usage is typically 'break through or burst out'. I
> understand that this verb form (niphal) only appears in this text so a
> proper understanding of this usage is a bit difficult for me to
> understand. Can anyone offer any insight into this?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Rudy

B. M. Rocine