b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 3:1 - Paratz

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Rudy Ruiz <roodee AT thummy.com>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] 1 Samuel 3:1 - Paratz
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 22:24:48 -0700

Greetings,

In the text above the JPS renders 'paratz' as 'not widespread' and similarly the NKJV renders the same word 'no widespread' yet in NIDOTTE the general usage is typically 'break through or burst out'. I understand that this verb form (niphal) only appears in this text so a proper understanding of this usage is a bit difficult for me to understand. Can anyone offer any insight into this?

Regards,

--
Rudy