b-hebrew - [b-hebrew] Phones, Phonemes, and Th.

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "David Kimbrough (CLWA)" <dkimbrough AT clwa.org>
  • To: 'Karl Randolph' <kwrandolph AT email.com>, Hebrew <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [b-hebrew] Phones, Phonemes, and Th.
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:43:29 -0800

Karl & Co.

Your example of the two different "th's" in English raises an interesting
point. There are actually situations where there is a difference. The two
words "Thy" and "Thigh" have exactly the same vowel sounds but different
"th"'s. The difference in the "th"'s is what distinguishes the two words.
The vowel sounds are identical but spelled differently and the consonants
are pronounced differently but spelled the same. However people rarely use
these two words in the same sentence so the two different "th" sounds can be
effectively represented by the same letters without any practical problems.
Notably, the ancient Anglo-Saxons used two different symbols for these two
"th" sounds so the difference were perhaps once much more important.

My point that there can be instances in a language where there are phonetic
nuances that do have impacts on the meaning of the word that are not
captured accurately or at all in the written language.

David Eugene Kimbrough
dkimbrough AT clwa.org