b-hebrew - RE: [b-hebrew] Proto-Semitic, was WAYYIQTOL

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "Karl Randolph" <kwrandolph AT email.com>
  • To: "Hebrew" <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [b-hebrew] Proto-Semitic, was WAYYIQTOL
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 17:05:32 -0500

Dear Kevin Riley:

Your letter reminds me why I almost always
use “phoneme” instead of “phone”.

For example, in English, the voiced and
unvoiced th, though they are different
phones, represent the same phoneme. If I
were to substitute an unvoiced th for every
voiced one, it wouldn’t make a whit of
difference in meaning.

There may have been two different
pronunciations for Ayen originally, but
they were the same phoneme: substituting
one pronunciation for the other didn’t make
a difference. The same with the Sin and the
Shin.

The problem is, all of us, myself included,
are only guessing how Hebrew was originally
pronounced. I personally favor the view
that each phoneme represented one
consonantal phone, but there’s no way to
prove it. However, I would be surprised if
statistical analysis did not show that each
letter represents one phoneme, and that
includes that the Sin and Shin were
originally one phoneme.

Karl W. Randolph.