b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] The Hebrew of the Jehoash Inscription

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: "B. M. Rocine" <brocine AT twcny.rr.com>
  • To: <b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] The Hebrew of the Jehoash Inscription
  • Date: Sat, 13 Mar 2004 07:22:28 -0500

Hi Dave, 2Chr 34:10, interesting because it collocates bedoq and xazzeq:
vayyittnu 'oto `osey hammla'kah 'asher `osim bebeyt yhwh libdoq ulexazzeq
habbayit. I take it to mean that we should be able to distinguish bedoq
from xazzeq. I.e. the money was for reconstructing some parts of the house
and strengthening others. See also Sirach 50:1 for niphal qatal "was
repaired."

Come to think of it, could 2Chr 34:10 libdoq ulexazzeq mean "to breach and
repair" as in to *demolish bad sections* and repair them? When repairing a
structure, demolishing bad sections can be unavoidable, tricky, costly, and
time-consuming. What I am saying is that maybe the 2Chr reference is really
to destructive component within the context of repairing. That would
*eliminate* this example of libdoq meaning "repair."

I don't mean to sound like I am arguing with myself. I am just thinking on
screen. ;-)

Shalom,
Bryan

you wrote:

> Hi Bryan,
> Good point. Can you offer references for the attestation with the
"repairing"
> meaning?
>
> On Thursday 11 March 2004 11:00, B. M. Rocine wrote:
> > Hi Dave,
> >
> > What's more, we don't know that we are looking at bedeq at all. The
> > infinitive bedoq is also attested and means "a repairing." I have not
> > understood why bedoq has not been considered except that analysts begin
> > with assumption of fake. (I can understand the "need" for a piece
without
> > a clear custody record to be assumed a fake. I have no problem with
that.)

> > Shalom,
> > Bryan
> >
> > You wrote:

> > > He wasn't just referring to `asah, but to `asah plus the entire chain
of

> > noun
> >
> > > objects. The biggest complaint about the inscription has been its
> >
> > supposed
> >
> > > use of `asah bedeq to mean "make repairs" per modern Hebrew, but this
> > > complaint takes the phrase out of its context in the inscription.
`asah