b-hebrew - Re: [b-hebrew] **** CAUTION: "Hey, ya! =))" MESSAGE IS VIRUS-LADEN! ****

b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Biblical Hebrew Forum

  • From: Kirk Lowery <klowery AT whi.wts.edu>
  • To: b-hebrew AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] **** CAUTION: "Hey, ya! =))" MESSAGE IS VIRUS-LADEN! ****
  • Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 08:27:42 -0500

Christopher V. Kimball wrote:

I received a message with subject line "Hey, ya! =))" with an address
indicating an association with this list. My anti-virus program (Norton) detected a virus in this message. Don't open the attached
file!

Chris,

Thanks for the warning.

Everyone: Please keep in mind that the recent crop of viruses spoof the sender's email address. Our list software has powerful virus scanners. We do not allow attachments of *any* kind to go through the list software -- for this very reason. I can confidently say that b-hebrew has sent out *no* virus. If you receive any message with an attachment that says it is from our list, that message has been faked.

The moderators have been kept *very* busy daily dealing with dozens of
"non-member posts" and bounces from email servers all over the world
complaining we have sent them a virus, when in fact our list did not. And many, many, many incoming "posts" have arrived with a virus attached. All of them have been caught and discarded.

"Blessed are the paranoid, for they never open unknown attachments!" :-)

Blessings,

Kirk
B-Hebrew co-chair

--